One of our most important functions is to provide a democratic, representational voice for the Tavistock community.
This commonly involves making representations to the County and Borough Councils concerning matters relating to Tavistock such as highways, transport, planning and development control.
We also run the Pannier Market, the Town Hall, most of the open spaces, the Guildhall Square car park and cemeteries. We look after part of Whitchurch Down and have in our care a large proportion of the old listed buildings in Tavistock. We provide “street furniture” and play parks as well.
The Council makes major contributions to the cost of community organisations ranging from the Citizens’ Advice Bureau to the local band.
We are the most local of three tiers of government that represent Tavistock, the other two tiers are West Devon Borough Council and Devon County Council. Each having their own resources and responsibilities which are essential for maintaining and developing our community.
Further information about the Town Council and what it does is available here.
Below is a guide to the responsibilities of each level of Council, if you are not sure which council you need to contact, please Contact Us and we will be happy to advise you.
Tavistock Town Council, Tel: 01822 613529
- Community representation and support
- Custodian of many of Tavistock's Listed Buildings
- The Pannier Market
- The Town Hall
- Guildhall car park
- Part of Whitchurch Down
- Plymouth Road and Dolvin Road cemeteries
- Several open spaces and play parks
- Butcher Park allotments
- Street furniture (benches, bins and bus shelters)
- Memorial Benches
- St Eustachius church clock and churchyard maintenance including lighting
- Supporting town twinning (Celle in Germany and Pontivy in France)
- War memorial
- Council Budget
West Devon Borough Council, Tel: 01822 813600, Website West Devon Borough Council
- Building regulations
- Council tax and non-domestic rates
- Electoral register
- Environmental health
- Housing & housing benefits
- Meadowlands leisure facilities
- Most car parks & parking enforcement
- Local planning & development
- Public toilets
- Refuse collection and recycling
- Street cleaning
Devon County Council, Tel: 0345 155 1015, Website Devon County Council
- Birth, marriage and death registration
- Blue badge parking
- Bus passes
- Fire and public safety
- Heritage services
- Highways and highway lighting
- Road safety
- Social services
- Strategic planning
- Trading standards
- Waste disposal (Crowndale tip)
- Winter travel